St. Mark's Anglican Church
51 King Street, Port Hope, Ontario
This Anglican Church was built in 1822 and originally painted grey. The builder was Norman Brogdin; the Smith family were major donors; and town founder Jonathon Walton presented the bell. It was consecrated in 1828 and dedicated to St. John the Evangelist.
The frame building was enlarged in 1842. Irish-born architect Kivas Tully was hired in 1851 to alter the windows and tower and give the church its present size, form and Gothic appearance.
A new St. John's was opened on Pine Street in 1869 and this building was closed. Re-opened in 1873 and re-dedicated, it became the church of a separate parish. Further alterations were made about 1895; 42 gallons of paint were used in 1948 to transform the church from grey to white; and in 1962 the church was carefully restored.
On July 26, 1959, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip accompanied their host Vincent Massey, Governor General of Canada and a parishioner of St. Mark's, to morning worship here.