Chatham, Ontario is in southwestern Ontario founded in 1794. Prior to the American Civil War, Chatham was the centre of antislavery activity and one of the northern terminuses for the 'Underground Railway' which brought fugitive slaves to Canada.
Chatham developed as a marketing centre for the rich, agricultural area. The local economy now depends on the automotive sector and diversified light industry.
In 1998 the County of Kent and the city of Chatham were amalgamated to form the Municipality of Chatham-Kent. The Municipality currently consists of 23 communities with a population in 2006 of 108,177.
Christ Anglican Church
80 Wellington Street West, Chatham, Ontario N7M 5C9
Phone: 519-352-1640 Fax: 519-352-7789
Rector: Rev. Paul Millward.
Christ Church is one of the oldest Anglican places of worship between Niagara-on-the-Lake, and the Pacific Ocean. The first wooden church was built in 1819 and named St Paul's. When the present building was opened in 1861, on the recommendation of Bishop Benjamin Cronyn, the new church was renamed Christ Church.
The Ven. Paul Millward is Archdeacon of Kent/Lambton.
Holy Trinity Anglican
81 Selkirk Street, Chatham, Ontario N7L 1Y8
Phone: 519-354-1072 Fax: 519-354-1074
Rector: Rev. Alan Knight (since September 1, 2008, previously Priest in Charge of St. John the Evangelist,
Sault Ste Marie and St. John's, Garden River)
Sundays 8:00am Holy Eucharist
10:15am Church School (Nursery Available)
10:30am Choral Liturgy
Wednesdays 10:00am Holy Eucharist & Healing Ministry
Holy Trinity Church was founded in 1875 chiefly to serve the growing number of immigrant families who were coming to Chatham to work in the city’s manufacturing industry.
St. Paul's Anglican
18 Dolsen Road, Chatham, Ontario N7M 5C9
Rector: Rev. Kristen Oliver (Appointed Deacon in Charge Jan. 15, 2009 and Rector on her ordination March 19, 2009. Previously Deacon Assistant, St. John's, Wyoming and Christ Church, Petrolia)
The St Paul's congregation was formed in 1956 and the building opened in 1958. The sister parish is just west of Chatham in Paincourt in the former Township of Dover.
7091 Grand River Line, Paincourt, Ontario
Anglican Parish of the Transfiguration
P.O. Box 613, Ridgetown, Ontario N0P 2C0
Rector: Rev. Stephen Demitroff
Associate: Rev. Michelle Collins-Wongkee
4 of the 6 churches that make up the Parish of the Transfiguration are in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent:
Christ Church - Brown, Main & St. George, Dresden
Church of the Redeemer - 344 Victoria Street, Highgate
Church of the Advent - 20 Church Street, Ridgetown
St. Stephen's Church - 143 London Street, Thamesville
The parish was formed in 2002, but the churches were all established in the 19th century.
St James the Apostle
719 James Street, Wallaceburg, Ontario
Phone: 519-627-1302 Fax: 519-627-7977
Rector: Rev. Len Myers (since February 2007).
Sunday Service times: 8:00am and 10:30am
The Church of St. James the Apostle is the oldest church in Wallaceburg, founded in 1864.
The sister parish in Port Lambton is 12km northwest of Wallaceburg in Lambton County.
St. James the Apostle
Merritt & Broadway Streets, Port Lambton, Ontario
Phone: 519-627-1302 Fax: 519-627-7977
The congregations in Tilbury and Comber shared in ministry for much of their history.
Church of the Ascension
Taylor Avenue, Comber, Ontario
St. Andrew's (deconsecrated)
28 Prospect Street, Tilbury, Ontario
(Last regular service was on Sunday,December 30th, 2012)
Tilbury is in Chatham-Kent and Comber is in the Town of Lakeshore.
Parish of Rondeau Bay
Rev. David Fuller became the rector February 1, 2007.
The 3 churches that make up the parish are:
Trinity - 59 Ellen Street, Blenheim, Ontario
St. Paul's - Ross Lane, Erieau, Ontario
Grace Church - Rondeau Government Park, Rondeau Park, Ontario
St Matthews, Florence, Ontario
Diocese of Huron Church Web Sites
Establishing the Anglican Church in Chatham, Ontario